CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 6, 2009

It was all a mistake, Officer.

A few days ago, Gene and I ate lunch at The Pickle Patch. Somehow my cell phone fell out of my pocketbook under the table. The waitress found it later and called to let me know it was there. I promptly forgot all about it until I wanted to make a call today and suddenly remembered where I'd left it. So I went over to The Pickle Patch, went in, retrieved the phone, joked with several people about being a little absent minded and left.

I always lock my car, so I used my clicker to open the car door. I got in, put my key in the switch and tried to turn the key. It wouldn't turn. I turned the steering wheel and it locked. I kept trying over and over to turn the wheel and the key, but nothing worked. Finally I called Gene and told him what was happening. He said he would come help me.

In the meantime Mr. Fred and his wife (church members) drove up and parked next to me. I told them about my problem. He said that had happened to them before and he could fix it. So he got in and tried everything I had tried to no avail. He gave up. He did kick the front tire a couple of times, and I did too; but that didn't seem to help either.

As I sat there waiting, I contemplated how much it was going to cost me to call Toyota and have them come over and tow the car to Thomasville to fix it.

Gene finally got there. He got in the car, let the seat back, closed the door and did all the things I had done to try to unlock the steering wheel and start the car. While he was doing all that, I gave the tire a few more kicks. Finally he got out. He looked at the car and said, "Elizabeth, this is not your car. This car is silver. Your car is tan!"

I got in my car and went home.

AND NOW FOR THE REST OF THE STORY:
After I got home, I received a phone call from Annelle, my friend I had teased with in The Pickle Patch about absent-minded old people. She said she just wanted to let me know that she, her sister and her sister's husband watched the whole time while Mr. Fred and Gene tried to rescue me. They felt so sorry for me. They sympathetically discussed whether there was something they might do to help me get it going. It never occurred to them until they went outside that it was Annelle's car I was trying to drive away.

0 comments: